Dear Dr. Boli: I have been very dissatisfied with the year 2011 so far. I realize the year is less than a week old, but I really feel as though I’m entitled to a refund, or at least an exchange for some more suitable year. I have, however, been unable to find a customer-service number anywhere. Do you think you might be able to help me? —Sincerely, Mrs. Humphry Ward, Chartiers City.

Dear Madam: Dr. Boli has made some inquiries on your behalf. Since you have used so little of 2011, the manufacturer has agreed to regard it as in “as-new condition” and to exchange it for another year of your choice. Most of the popular years are already taken, but as of this morning 1842 and 1938 were still available. Return 2011 to the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, England, and specify the year you would like in exchange.