What are the sticking points that have kept us from a budget agreement for so long?
1. Republicans wanted to destroy Obamacare and make sure only the rich could afford health services; Democrats wanted to use the government to make sure no one ever gets sick again.
2. Democrats saw that Republicans’ poll numbers were plummeting, which gave them a strong motive to keep the crisis going; Republicans had a strong motive to keep the crisis going until the Democrats’ poll numbers plummeted as well.
4. Democrats wanted to cut defense spending; Republicans believe that cutting defense spending is the sin against the Holy Spirit mentioned in Mark 3:29.
5. Democrats wanted to raise the debt ceiling with Gothic vaulting; Republicans wanted to patch it over with acoustical tile.
6. Republicans wanted pizza; Democrats wanted Chinese takeout.
7. The Green Party refused to compromise its principles, whatever they are.